Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I BUY MY OWN DIAMONDS AND I BUY MY OWN RINGS. . . because he is a tracer: A survey of Independent films and the embodiment of the patriarch





A second post from our second (first, technically) blog winner Michael. This suggestion was so rich and delicious that, as expected, it took more time to digest.


A brilliant offering from a brilliant indie film type of guy






I wanted to impetuously answer this question the moment I read it but I had to do many things before I could.  I had to wait for voting to close, I had to have the good faith that it would be chosen, and then I had to make real that this was not, after all, an easy question to field.
Many thoughts overwhelmed me.  
One, most obviously, "What are my favorite indie films"?
Secondly, "What are my favorite indie films"?
I was sure I knew the answer to this without hesitation.  Then I realized that I actually could not so much as define what an independent film was, without equivocating. 
Nor was I certain I fully understood the context of the question. 

     "Was I to compare the film as a whole text to a certain type of guy? As in, Primer is like the guy you don't expect much from but then you see it and you're all like 'why did I wait so long for this—this interesting and wonderful'. Or like, Garden State is like that guy you date who is all woe is me and you try to fix him/help him and he runs away because he is (and will always be) perpetually fucked up and/or self absorbed and/or wounded in a really complicated way that can only be overcome by making films about his own narcism*".  
-were the thoughts I was having.

Perhaps it is because I am a film student that these questions were so burdensome.  Maybe it is because I had the tutelage of the brilliant and lovely Dr. Alisa Perren, who has authored much scholarship on the subject of the celebrated genre of independent films with an impressive skepticism. 
I have spent the last five years critically digesting films (though never through this lens before), so why now do I feel this superincumbent pressure? 

It was right about now that I decided to shut the fuck up and write the blog. That is, after all, why you are reading this and not my diary. 

An independent film is a film produced outside of the major film studio system. 
Simple enough, although I really appreciate the criteria Dr. Alisa Perren uses to define them:
· the film's source of financing
· the film's distribution
· the film's exhibition 
· the status of talent 
· the spirit of the film

There are too many films that qualify as an "indie film" for me to just have a few favorites.  And if I spent too much time discriminating the details of what qualifies it to be an independent film, I could wind up discussing films many of you may not have seen. And that would be poop**.

So I chose these two films:
Swingers (1996)
Chasing Amy (1997)

You've had a lot of time to see these films. One of them is in the Criterion Collection. The other is #20 on Maxim magazine's greatest 100 Guy Movies Ever Made***. 
You should watch them, and often. 


I'm going to discuss the archetypes of men present (in the leading roles) of both films and (if there is time left over****) I will briefly discuss the impact of the film in contrast to a relationship (?) (hmm) if this works. Let's see! 

Swingers

TRENT
Hubba, hubba. Embodied by Vince Vaughn we have no doubt you will swoon for this fella. 
But no.1 of his traits I take issue with—he is terrible to waitresses.   Need I say more?
There is no need to treat other people this way, especially those who are in a position to take care of you and be hospitable.  
If a guy can treat a waitress this way (without flinching) just how special do you have to be for him to show you any varying respect? 
Which brings me to no.2—he is completely indifferent to women. Again. . . he is one of those self-proclaimed heartbreakers. 
This takes his status from swoon to snooze. 
A positive note, he is an almost completely genuine friend to Mike. We really believe this guy wants to protect his buddy and will look out for him, almost selflessly. Almost. 
But again we have evidence that his ego comes in opposition with the good fortune Mike has with lady Lorraine (just because it was not Trent himself who contrived the hook up). 

On a scale of one—five 

Sexy: ♡♡♡♡♡
Datable:♡
Tolerable as your man's BF:♡♡♡

MIKE
This guy! He is a catch. He is also—our fault. Chances are we are not Lorraine in this love triangle. Most of us ladies are Michelle. Many of us ladies dated this guy, who was so dedicated to us but for some reason or another we found fault in that. 
We let him go, broke his heart. We are Prometheus and we created this sentimental and idyllic guy. And just like Michelle, we will realize too late what we have done—we have lost him. 
But don't worry, some one out there is so grateful to us for freeing him up. Some lady out there is the happiest we never were with him. 

Sexy: ♡♡♡♡
Datable:♡♡♡♡
Tolerable as your man's BF: ♡♡♡♡


Chasing Amy

Holden
Holden is very similar to Mike in that he is a hopeless romantic. He is idealistic and seemingly respectful of others, notably women (and waitresses too). 
Yet. . . 
He lacks humility. 
Holden is overcome with insecurity upon falling for Alyssa. His hang-ups on tradition and intimacy actually make him come across as more homophobic than Banky, if that's possible. 
We want to adore Holden, we want him to get the girl. . .but it is almost impossible to forgive him for his lack of assurance. 
We know he will treasure us, only so long as we fit into the tiny treasure box he has designated for us. If we challenge his ideals at all, if we rock the boat, we will find that we are in a sinking ship. And there is nothing punny about that. 

Sexy: ♡♡♡
Datability:♡♡♡
Tolerable as your man's BF: ♡♡♡♡

Banky
Banky has an inker's complex. He knows he is not the star of the show but he has the confidence of an artist (without too much ego). 
He adds depth and shadow to Bluntman and Chronic in the same way he adds depth and shadow to the film, in the same way he adds depth and shadow to Holden's sometimes one dimensional perspective. 
He is juvenile, to a fault—but less we forget a few of us find this charming (psst. it's me that finds this charming).  
Banky may come across as a bit of a loser, or an underdog for you wordsmiths*****, but there is something to be said for a guy who is completely satisfied with his achievements. 
It doesn't have to mean he lacks ambition, it could actually mean he has already accomplished most of his dreams. And those dreams include writing and sketching a comic with his best friend and winning the occasional Sega game with said friend. 
Sounds like my kind of party. 
It is hard to excuse his occasions of disgraceful gay bashing, and I wish I could say the subtext offers us the conclusion that he is only acting out so aggressively in the interest of protecting his best friend from heartache. . . but that would be a lie. 
The truth is this film was made in the late 90's. A time when we were still hashing out public feelings about homosexuality in the media and a character such as Banky was a necessary part of the conversation. 
Thank you Kevin Smith. It is hard to make a film of this nature without an aggressor like Banky. 
It was also hard not to fall for him. Sigh. Woe is me. 

Sexy: 
Datability: 
Tolerance as your man's BF: 
******





*I love Zach Braff. Huge fan. Never doubt. I am currently a "backer" of his Kickstarter, Wish I Was Here. 
#EEEAGLE!

**Yes, Michael. I mentioned poop.

***I was going to make a joke about how Swingers was probably on some list in Maxim. Then I did some research and low and behold...

****there was no time left over :-(

*****just fucking with wordsmiths.

******Yes, I am completely biased when it comes to Jason Lee. Completely. He can do no wrong.














4 comments:

  1. You, madame, are a brilliant and hilarious human being. Love you! Also, the people who have never seen these movies or wanted to bang the crap out of Jason Lee are truly missing out. I am willing to bet his ears are big enough to.. well, you know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, I know...

      And you madame. I miss the diaper filling out of you!

      I love you.

      Delete
  2. Well, that was exactly what I expected except the parts that were better than what I expected which were all the parts not regarding poop. Bravo!

    Now on to practicing being juvenile and nice to waitresses with a dash of homosexual humility.

    BTW, thank you. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I had so much fun exploring the idea. MORE! MORE!

      Delete