Saturday, October 5, 2013

Oops, I clicked it again

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! 



Almost never have I made a drunken Amazon purchase. 
This is true only because, for me, shopping and acquiring do not give me pleasure. When I am fully inebriated, I try to stay away from such laborious and joyless responsibilities. 
However, in the past (when drunk), I would find myself online...


...I would take to social media like it was my mountain and I, Roland Orzabal of Tears For Fears.





In other words, nothing was too embarrassing for me to post. 
It wasn't that I didn't have any shame, it's just that my shame was floating on top of a pint glass and I must have swallowed it — or something ... 

In the easiest words possible, I was a drunk — and I preferred online sharing to online shopping. 
For Example




But oh, how much easier my life could have been if only I'd retreated from playing Silver Strike and treated myself to some guilty shopping pleasures. 
Instead of just a hangover (and an overwhelming sense I need to apologize to someone) I would wake up to something more ... something new at my door. 

It could have been this:
Jack Burton figurine 
Or:
John C. McGinley trading card

Even: 
Jason Segel pillowcase

No matter what ridiculous item I drunk shopped, the consequences seem less traumatic and definitely more delightful.  I wish Danny had filled my head with the idea of this drunk decorating earlier. 

My Amazon purchases are, in truth, quite lame. 
I buy school books, shoes, household items, and toiletries through Amazon. Only once did I buy something unique ... and frankly I had to because I was so shocked it was being sold on Amazon, if you follow. 
My wish list now consists of more housewares, some video games, some books, a swatch watch, and a new liner for my dog's bed. 

Basically—lots of uninspired stuff that if I got drunk now and bought it, the psychological repercussions would be low to null. 

I did some reading and found that "buy and ship now" syndrome is occurring and is nothing to screw around with. 

I wanted to make Danny a video inspired by his suggestion, but I came down with icky strep throat and lacked the physical strength to do so by deadline. In fact, I barely have the mental faculties now to write this.

What I propose is this:

If you have been afflicted with "buy and ship now" syndrome (please) tell me your most anguishing purchase. 
You can do so anonymously as a comment on the blog. I will pick one and dedicate a video segment to it ... and who knows, maybe it will facilitate a little healing?  









3 comments:

  1. My drunk amazon purchase : the entire dvd box set of Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone. All 5 seasons. I do not regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've bought starwars belt buckles, books I've forgotten I've already read and in some cases own already....ive got some pretty cool t-shirts,a copy of gummo, shorts that don't fit, mountain bike stuff I shouldn't never bought... and when I get the inevitable low funds e mail from my bank I shed a tear or 2, panic a little, then I remember what I bought and I smile and tell myself it's worth it.... it's the lieing too myself that hurts the most... but it's a Conan the barbarian shirt from the Asian release.... and that's just awesome... fucking awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Luke was a newborn and I was awake pumping at 3am, this seemed like a good purchase: http://www.amazon.com/Reupholstering-Home-Do---Yourself-Showpieces/dp/088740376X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381078379&sr=1-1&keywords=Reupholstering+at+Home%3A+A+Do-It-Yourself+Manual+for+Turning+Old+Furniture+into+New+Showpieces

    Because every new mom has so much extra time to learn to reupholster furniture.

    ReplyDelete