Saturday, September 21, 2013

It's Friday. Where do I send thanks to?


I am super grateful to those of you who voted. The hard numbers make truthful this statement; 3 out of 5 co-bloggers want to put it in my mouth on a Friday. I am here to make that dream come true.



pay day

With voting occurring on Friday, I will be postponing the following week's post until Saturday [in a strained attempt of maintaining the integrity of the voting thread]. 


This is our first "Saturday post".  Curiously it is written about Friday. 



Having worked nearly two decades in a field that mandates weekend work, I never embraced the T.G.I.F spirit that so many 9-5'ers do.  You might even say I was antithetical.  I did, however, completely abide by the idea that no matter where you worked, weekends started on Friday.  My Friday was Tuesday for many consecutive years and, come that day, I would proudly announce, "today is my Friday".

Having to assimilate my week with other working civilians wasn't difficult, but there exists a certain level of alienation that takes host in your body. Mine serves as a reminder to be grateful for all opportunities to see the world from outside the offered perspective. 

No matter when your Friday is, can we agree on the small amount of magic we endow it with, and everything it preludes? 
A little respite from our slave lives, an opportunity to slow down and be with family, an excuse to party, take a jaunt, a cessation of work, leisure time! 

This past Friday, [yesterday] September 20th, was my older sister Tara's birthday.  One thing we loved more than anything, growing up, was The Cure.  She, specifically, had an intimidating wealth of posters, B-sides, and T-shirts.  She knew more about Robert Smith than I've known about most of my boyfriends.  Her fandom rivaled all that I have ever seen.  

This video is for Friday, this video is for Tara, this video is for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment